1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
What Do You Need In The Xf2 Xengallery Version? Vote for your choices here: http://www.sonnb.com/threads/what-do-you-need-in-the-xf2-xengallery-version.1539/

Request Alert Bubble On Gallery Menu To Indicate New Media Added Since Last Visit

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by RobinHood, Oct 6, 2016.

1. RobinHood

RobinHood Authorized Member Authorized

We could really do with an alert bubble option that shows the number of new media items that have been added to the gallery since your last visit.

XFMG has this and it's really useful for bringing the fact that there's new content available to the attention of users.

It's especially good for mobile as an alert in the menu shows at a glance if there's new content so you don't have to scroll below the fold to find the carousel.

Plus a menu alert will be persistent on every page of the site :)

2. sonnb

sonnb Administrator Staff Member

Hello,

I know that XFMG has this feature but really, it is not the way XenGallery work. XFMG works like a storage system where people uploads new media and it will notify if new media is added. XenGallery works like the socialized, private storage where people get notification for what they concern only. Since a photo, album or category has complicated privacy settings, we will unable to notify all the guys that how many items are added globally. It must something unique for each users which is not a good idea for the sites which thousands of users.

3. RobinHood

Hmm, I can appreciate this may be a tough issue due to privacy settings for large sites, but new media discoverability is a major issue on forums and incredibly important. It's really vital and effective feature of XFMG for driving engagement.

Many users will log on multiple times a day and only look for the alert bubbles that indicate there is new content to be viewed, and then action that.

Carousels are no good, especially if a lot of media has been added since the last visit, or if you have it set to random.

It's difficult enough to encourage users to use galleries on forums as opposed to threads, as threads always show up in the 'New Posts' page and inevitably end up with much higher engagement.

I'm trying to steal users away from facebook groups where all they have to do is scroll down the page to see everything that's new. This is incredibly challenging. Forum users aren't going to open the gallery drop down and select one of the 4 new content options if they're not informed that there's new content to view there.

Can you please consider how to add this? I really do think this is a vital part of the gallery, otherwise it will gather dust as existing users will not visit unless there's a call to action to look at the new media and users won't upload to it if they think no one will see their media :(

Media is generally consumed and interacted with more than uploaded, so I would suggest that the 'New ...' link go to the top of the menu too.

upload_2016-10-11_20-29-28.png

4. sonnb

Could you make it separated suggestion so we can keep it tracked?

For the new media alike, we can do a trick here. Just count new contents (photo/video) since their last visit, do not matter what the privacy is, if they click, they see what they are able to see.

RobinHood likes this.
  5. RobinHood

Perfect!

Which bit do you want me to make a separate suggestion for? I think it's all kind of tied together.

I look forward to some new media CTA alert bubbles, I think that will really help drive views and engagement :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  6. RobinHood

Any chance this might make it into V2.7? Any any idea when the next feature release will be out? :D

7. butlerway

butlerway Authorized Member Authorized

I came here to suggest this very thing, but I see someone has beat me to it, so I will just post in support of this. A bubble alert that shows there has been new content would be huge. Right now no one knows when this stuff has been added. I have to resort to posting in the forums just to tell people that new photos are up. The alerts do a great job of driving traffic to other features on the forums, and I know it would do the same to the photo gallery.

RobinHood likes this.
  8. RobinHood

I have the widget framework installed, I check the home page and am more aware of new content than anyone.

Even with a new images widget I often don't recognise them until I see them in the live feed or elsewhere as my eyes scan for the red new post or alert boxes on the above the fold content, whether it's on desktop or mobile.

We're not able to detect such subtle changes to the rest of the page if not actively looking for them (as no user is), when there are red alert bubbles call to actions that are supposed to tell us whats new.

I really hope we can integrate the alerting of the upload of new content, and commenting of media content better into the next update :)

9. RobinHood

So important for engagement. Please add this!

An alert bubble(s) is great for directing traffic to the gallery.

I await in anticipation :)

sonnb likes this.
  10. sonnb

I believe we can do it this way.

RobinHood likes this.
  11. RobinHood

Any idea when new features like this might ship?

Tags: Alerts