1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
What Do You Need In The Xf2 Xengallery Version? Vote for your choices here: http://www.sonnb.com/threads/what-do-you-need-in-the-xf2-xengallery-version.1539/

What Happens When Xf 2.0 Is Out?

Discussion in 'XenGallery' started by sonnb, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zig

zig New Member

Only a month and a half to go and I'm sure no one wants to be upgrading their live sites to XF2 on New Year's Eve... Could you at least let us know if it'll be out in time? A "no" would be preferable to this radio silence. You've got a lot of customers that love your addon that are worried about its future. All we want is a little communication.

2. warrenpchi

warrenpchi New Member

@zig, you can't tell him what to do, you're not his REAL dad!

3. ActorMike

ActorMike Authorized Member Authorized

It's been 3 years since he promised a version for XF 2.0. Just use the importer and move on.

4. zig

zig New Member

@ActorMike

We're keen to stay on XG because it offers a far better feature set than XFMG, however the path you suggest is one we've been investigating as a backup option for a while now.

Unfortunately the importer doesn't work for us because it lacks the ability to work with off-server storage. (We use an S3 bucket and [bd] Attachment Store to store all of our images/attachments so that we can scale out horizontally with multiple server replicas without also replicating several TBs of data.) ChrisD has refused to provide support, stating we will need to have the files present on server to allow import. I've spent the better part of the last two weeks developing a modified version of the importer to resolve the issue, but it works only partially at the moment. If you have encountered and resolved this issue, please do PM me---we would very much appreciate the help.

snoopy5 likes this.
  5. ActorMike

There was an error/bug that I helped get fixed this week. Also, there are issues trying to import "likes" so uncheck that. Check the comments on the importer.

6. zig

zig New Member

@ActorMike I follow that resource (perhaps you've seen my post?), so I saw your conversation with ChrisD. To reiterate, the issue we're facing has to do with off-server storage, not unimported thumbnails. That said, this is a thread about sonnb's addons, so we should probably take discussion about competitors to PM.

@sonnb stated he was currently working on XG3 just a few months ago, so while the radio silence is disconcerting, we're still holding out hope at my company that we don't need to use XFMG at all. I'm really only looking for a status update from him by posting here.

7. ActorMike

When you don't have a competing product, you are not a competitor. He said THREE YEARS AGO he was making one for XF2. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Why do you want to use a product that the developer goes missing for months/years and doesn't keep promises? Sometimes you have to move on. Nobody likes changes, but it's often necessary. There isn't going to be another version. Most people already migrated to another solution so his customer base is gone in large.

Even this website is outdated and running XenForo 1.5.15 which is from September 2017.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  8. radu

radu Authorized Member Authorized

It's not about changes, it's about downgrade. I waited for almost 2 years, I'll wait other two months, and if there aren't news I'll move on as you say, but at this point I'm not even sure I'll use the xfmg add-on, I'll probably disable the gallery.

snoopy5 and zig like this.
  9. ActorMike

This is like being catfished. Lol. He's not going to to have anything out this year. Even if he did, what about potential security vulnerabilities? His own website we are on hasn't been updated in over 2 years. He dissapeared for months. It's not even worth the risk. Too unreliable.

10. radu

Said, but true :( I'm a patient person but I guess there is no hope here. Only a miracle can change this, who believes in miracles?

I don't blame him, he has his reasons (which I don't know and don't want to know) and I hope he is fine. Once was very active and the support was perfect. Things change.

11. ActorMike

I do, there is no excuse. He's popped up several times giving people false hope that he was going to come out with the next version for 3 years. That is totally ridiculous and unexplainable.
    Screenshot_20191122-202826_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  12. ActorMike

I think you will find that if you just change your menus to navigate to the albums menu like we did https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/thunderbird-photos/albums/ that it works fine. We had lots of errors on the sonnb software loading images on the infinite scroll, so I like this gallery better.

13. ActorMike

The XFMG has been working out great for us. As you can now see, all the promises to update this software for over 3 years were a big lie.

14. radu

I also switched to XFMG, but I still miss this add-on :(
    XFMG is a joke compared to Sonnb Gallery

15. ActorMike

We had many problems with The SB gallery, especially on the infinite scrolling with it not showing thumbnails. Embedded youtube videos never displayed a preview properly either. I think it's cool how the album shows 4 thumbnails too, instead of one on sonnb

We link straight to the /albums/ folder in our navigation and it works great for us. Users seem to have an easier time figuring out uploading as well.

Do not like how it sorts images or no drag and drop rearrange.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  16. radu

Never had similar problems.
    The first thing my members asked when switched to XFMG was: How do I set my cover album? answer you can't :(
    me too.

XenGallery shows resized images and that is very fast to load compared to XFMG. I have a 10MB connection and trust me is a pita to browse XFMG. A cheap smartphone does 5MB/photo, and that is slow to load. XenGallery saves three types of images: small, medium and large. You can also decide to resize images and delete the original ones to save space. Never used this option, but could be useful. This is not possible in xfmg.

The interface is much better on Sonnb Gallery, I like the "Facebook style" of browsing pictures with comments on the right.

If there will be a 2.x version of this gallery I will probably switch back, even if I have to translate it myself (I already did it for 1.x version and was a pita)

ActorMike likes this.
  17. ActorMike

He's been MIA for months and promising to update for 3 years. I don't think it's wise to get involved with someone that unreliable. I'd say he's gone for good this time. He's even running a 2.5 year old version of XF on this site.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  18. Kemopaws

Kemopaws New Member

Waaaiiiitiiinnng.... :<

19. ActorMike

For what? I have established that this guy is gone..P.S. Santa is also not real.

20. RobinHood

RobinHood Authorized Member Authorized

It's delayed until 2030 due to the corona virus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.