1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
What Do You Need In The Xf2 Xengallery Version? Vote for your choices here: http://www.sonnb.com/threads/what-do-you-need-in-the-xf2-xengallery-version.1539/

What Happens When Xf 2.0 Is Out?

Discussion in 'XenGallery' started by sonnb, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ActorMike

ActorMike Authorized Member Authorized

Just noticed he had not been on this site since last October, but logged in recently again.

sonnb.jpg

2. snoopy5

snoopy5 Authorized Member Authorized

I have the same opinion. Even the newest XMG does not even come close to the functionality of even the old photo gallery of Sonnb. They had now around 8 years to copy Sonnb's gallery, but XF did NOTHING to improve their XMG addon. Same with the XF Ressource Manager.

@ActorMike

Why don't you complain about these FACTS in the official XF support forum in every single thread like you do here? Would only be fair, don't you think?

So it is kind of sad, but relaxing situation at the same time for me. If I upgrade to XF2.1, I will rather disable the gallery than convert to XMG, because my users will not use XMG. That would be a waste of money and time for me to import it.

by the way:

sonnb.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    sonnb likes this.
  3. sonnb

sonnb Administrator Staff Member

Dear all,

I believe that I vanished long enough. I see lot of customers who still support me but I also some who angry for the situation. I will go directly into the point which I will not mention something related to my time, my life or corona.

Honestly, from the beginning I against the idea of charging for the XF2 upgrade of the add-on (on the XF.com community). I jumped the two the code. As you may see I have some add-ons released for the XF2 (Report Alert and Stop Spam Here...). But after awhile I realize that the workload required to bring all the features that XenGallery supports in XF1 to XF2 requires a lot. And also there are lot of changes required because the way those features offer in XF1 does not fit and/or need to be changed in XF2. At that time I get stuck and the development got extremely slow progress.

I would like to say thanks to all the customers who still care about this product, especially @snoopy5 who always get contacting me and give his opinions.

I will resume the work from now on but not jump into what I get stuck before as mentioned above. I will do and release some small add-ons first so we will all see the efforts there. For XenGallery, I will do it step by step and might limit the number features it offers to be able bring it into life again. We will see how it goes.

Best Regards.

EvilSS, caoanh204, otto and 4 others like this.
  4. snoopy5

snoopy5 Authorized Member Authorized

Thank you Sonnb for your announcement!

I think your proposal is a good strategy. It might be beneficial to get a better overview, to start a totally new thread for this new gallery plug-in as soon as you plan to start the development again for it and close the old thread with a hint that in a new thread will be started soon. Then nobody gets confused about the current status.

I can imagine that it will be a lot of work to build up this new gallery plug-in again from zero for the Xenforo 2.x software. Others threw the towel (CTA Featured Threads & Portal).

Maybe it is a good idea to raise poll to get an indication, which features we desire the most in this new version. In the old version there have been many different features and if you want to achieve a fast development maybe even still in 2020, then it might be more realistic to focus only on the three or five most important features first (for the first release) and only later on additional features as time goes by and as soon as you have more time for it.

sonnb likes this.
  5. zoldos

zoldos Authorized Member Authorized

@sonnb Thanks so much for your message! I hope you are feeling okay and your family. I just have one question (I hope my support period is still active): I want to increase the number of albums displayed per *category* on the gallery home page. I understand this is a source file edit, and you showed me before, but after upgrading to the latest gallery, I can't get it to work now. Can you assist? Thanks!

sonnb likes this.
  6. zoldos

I agree. I love sonnb's gallery. And very glad he has returned! :D

sonnb likes this.
  7. RobinHood

RobinHood Authorized Member Authorized

Thanks for posting Son.

At this point I'll just take a basic gallery with masonry view, and a proper light box for browsing with comments sidebar for the time being.

snoopy5 and sonnb like this.
  8. sonnb

It is line 156 inside Model\Category.php

Yeah. Close this one will be a good idea. It is too old and need to rest. I will make a thread for free voting.

9. zoldos

Worked perfectly. Thanks so much, and welcome back again! :)

RobinHood and sonnb like this.
  10. sonnb

RobinHood and snoopy5 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.